Raspbian OS or Debian based OS
- Recommended and tested with, but any OS satisfying the requirements should do fine.
- Alternative #1: You can also run it on any server near your smart meter, as long as it satisfies the other requirements.
- Alternative #2: The application supports receiving P1 telegrams using an API, so you can also run it on a server outside your home. (API DOCS)
RaspberryPi 3 or Linux server
The RaspberryPi 1 and 2 tend to be too slow for this project, as it requires multi core processing.
You can however run just the datalogger client on an old RaspberryPi, see for the API for a howto and example scripts.
Python 3.3 has been discontinued since
DSMR-reader v1.5 (due to Django).
MySQL has been deprecated since
DSMR-reader v1.6 and will be discontinued completely in a later release.
Please use a PostgreSQL database instead. Users already running MySQL will be supported in migrating at a later moment.
Minimal 1 GB of disk space on RaspberryPi (card) (for application installation & virtualenv).
- More disk space is required for storing all reader data captured (optional). I generally advise to use a 8+ GB SD card.
- The readings will take about 90+ percent of the disk space. Retention is on it’s way for a future release in 2017.
Smart Meter with support for at least DSMR 4.x+ and a P1 telegram port
- Tested so far with Landis+Gyr E350, Kaifa.
Smart meter P1 data cable
- Can be purchased online and they cost around 15 tot 20 Euro’s each.